Thursday, October 2, 2008

Applesauce Spice Bars

Recipe

Tonight I embarked on another Dorie Greenspan recipe - her Applesauce Spice Bars. They made the house smell so good while they were cooking.

Overall notes: These are really good. But again mine didn't rise as much as hers. I think the issue again is that she doesn't provide high-altitude adjustments so I'm left to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't. I didn't put the rum in them, but they were still quite yummy.

You start by whisking flour with some spices.


I was supposed to have done a finer dice, but I wasn't in the mood. And I ended up liking the chunkiness of the bars.


You have to whisk together some butter and brown sugar.


A majority of the recipe is actually combined in the pot, so if you make these, make sure you melt the butter in a large enough pot. Then spread it out in a buttered and floured pan with a piece of parchment paper across the bottom. You also want to make sure that the dough is even. Mine ended up thinner at one side than the other.


Here they are cooling on a rack.

I made the glaze while these cooled. Then I spread it on the bars using a silicon, no-drip basting brush. It worked really well. And I highly recommend making sure that you have a pan under the rack since it will drip.


And here is the finished product next to Dorie's pic. I think it's a pretty decent recreation.



0 comments: